1. 4-7-8 Breath work for relaxation
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of FOUR.
- Hold your breath for a count of SEVEN.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of EIGHT.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
2. Positive self talk or affirmations.
Talk yourself through positive reinforcement statements such as:
“I will get through this.”
“I am safe right now.”
3. Eat right.
You may want to eat for comfort but sugar isn’t the answer. instead try something high in omegas like fish. omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to reduce the symptoms of stress.
4. Get loose…
Dance, sing, play, laugh whatever you need to do to get into your body and out of your head. Plus those releases endorphins that improve mood and decrease levels of the stress-causing hormones cortisol and adrenaline.
5. Essential Oils.
There are essential oils specifically to help you deal with stress. Personally I love Young Living’s Peace & Calming® which is ideal for create a calming and peaceful atmosphere throughout the home. Stress Away™ is also another great option for combatting normal stresses that creep into everyday life.