- 2/3 cup dry red lentils
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 6 oz. can sockeye or pink salmon
- 1 tbsp horseradish
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a saucepan, bring lentils and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lentils have become tender and water has mostly been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- As lentils cook, heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet and cook shallots for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and cumin seeds and cook 1 minute more.
- Mash lentils with a fork or potato masher and combine with shallot mixture: salmon, horseradish, eggs, dill, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture among 10 lightly greased or paper lined muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes, or until set and slightly golden on top. Let cool before unmolding.