Why chow down on 1000’s of calories when you can upgrade your Super Bowl snacks with these healthier options. SCORE!
CROCK POT BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
- 5 lbs. chicken wings, with tips cut off
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle chili sauce
- 1/3 c. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
Dash of garlic salt Place wings in crock pot. Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours. Yields: 6 to 8 servings.
WHITE BEAN DIP
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Place cannellini beans in bowl, and mash with fork; set aside. Heat a small pan over medium heat; add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, and let it warm. Add garlic, and chopped fresh sage leaves. Stir constantly for 4 minutes or until garlic is brown and sage is crispy. Pour hot oil over beans; stir. Garnish with 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, and add salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and store in fridge up to 1 week.
POLENTA QUINOA PIZZA
- 1 tube of quinoa polenta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Pour the oil in a pan and heat on low. Cut the polenta into 15 quarter-inch-thick slices. Place the polenta in the pan and cook each side until slightly golden brown, about 10 minutes each side. Preheat the oven to 350°F.Place the polenta on foil on a cookie sheet. Top each piece with a slice of tomato. Sprinkle with cheese and fresh basil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
BLACK BEAN & SPINACH QUESADILLA
- 1/2 cup canned organic black beans, drained and rinsed, mashed with a fork
- 2 whole-wheat or gluten free tortillas (8-inch)
- 1/2 cup spinach, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat pepper-jack cheese (optional to go dairy free)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa, for serving
Spread beans over half of each tortilla. Top with spinach and cheese; season generously with salt and pepper. Fold tortillas in half over fillings. When it’s time to eat, place quesadillas on a microwave-safe plate; cook on high power until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top with salsa.
POPCORN 3 WAYS
SPICY – A sprinkle of cayenne and hot sauce
TRUFFLE – A sprinkle of truffle salt and a drizzle of truffle oil
CHEESY – A sprinkle of nutritional yeast.