- 1 cup(s) pearl barley (you can use quinoa if you are gluten free)
- 1 3/4 cup(s) lower-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1 seedless cucumber (English)
- 2 ripe organic peaches
- 2 pint(s) organic cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup(s) packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoon(s) bragg’s cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) coconut oil
- 1 can(s) (15-ounce) organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 head(s) Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- Place barley in 4-quart saucepan. Cook on medium 5 minutes or until toasted, stirring. Stir in broth and water. Heat to boiling on high. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 35 minutes or until tender. Drain if necessary, and cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, scoop out and discard soft center from cucumber, then cut into 1/4-inch pieces. Pit and chop peaches. Cut tomatoes in quarters. Very finely chop basil.
- In large bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add barley and toss until well coated. Cool until no longer hot, then add cucumber, peaches, tomatoes, and chickpeas, tossing until well combined. Serve over lettuce leaves.
* Recipe modified from good housekeeping magazine*.