Since Southern Spain is all about Tapas…I thought I would share some HEALTHY tapas ideas with you.
- Avocado toast: Thin slices of smoked tempeh and avocado on toast smeared with garlic aioli
- Figs with goat cheese: Fresh fig halves and stuffed with goat cheese
- Olives: Stuffed, marinated, or blended into a tapenade
- Ceviche: Raw firm-fleshed fish “cooked” in lime juice and garnished with chili
- Garlic mushrooms: Mushrooms quick-sauteed with garlic, sherry vinegar, lemon juice, chili and paprika
- Orange salad: Salad of red onions and oranges with a light dressing
- Nuts: Bowl of dry, spiced almonds
- Bread and olive oil: Good bread and good olive oil for dipping
- Shrimp-filled zucchini blossoms: Paste made of cooked shrimp and seasonings stuffed in a zucchini blossom and slightly sauteed
- Sauteed spinach and chickpeas: Serve with thin toasts
These Mussels are a favorite of mine …try this recipe:
Spanish Tapas-Inspired Mussel
When you think “mussels” you may not instantly think “chickpeas,” but the two are joined in tasteful union in this delicious, bistro-style dish.
2 servings | Active Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed (3/4 cup)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-ounce jar chopped pimientos, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, garlic and pimentos. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, pepper and saffron. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth and sherry, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.