Biryani inspired quinoa burgers with dried currants, curry leaves and sunflower seeds. Don’t be fooled by the amount of ingredients these Quinoa Curry Patties are quite easy to make and provide great grab and go lunch too.
- ½ cup raw quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp fennel seed
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- ¼ cup dried currants
- ¼ cup roughly ground sunflower kernels
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp himalayan rock salt
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 flax egg – 1 tbsp freshly ground flax mixed with 2 tbsp warm water and allowed to sit for 5 minutes *see note
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Cover and cook on high heat until boiling, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 12 minutes. Once complete, remove from heat and keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the next 6 ingredients in a medium frying pan and cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add all ingredients – cooked quinoa, sauteed onions, and remaining ingredients to the bowl of your food processor. Pulse 4-6 times until everything is combined and broken down slightly.
- Shape mixture into burgers and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes so the patties hold together nicely.
- Serve sandwiched between a gluten-free burger bun or over arugula