So it turns out I cook when I am nervous which is good since I stress eat!! 🙂
Here are some of the sweet treats we tricked ourself into eating over here.
Brown Rice Crispy Treats:
- 1/2 cup almond butter*
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup or coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp earth balance
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 3.5 cups Nature’s Path GF Rice Crisp Cereal
- 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Shredded coconut or GF marshmallows, to garnish
1. Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch square pan, by lining it with parchment paper on both sides.
2. In a large pot over low-medium heat, add the brown rice syrup, Earth Balance, almond butter, chocolate chips and salt. Stir well until combined and heated through. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
3.. Stir in 3.5 cups of rice crisp cereal until thoroughly combined.
4. Scoop into pan and spread evenly. Press down with fingers. Place in freezer to set for 5 minutes
5. Remove pan from freezer and sprinkle with coconut or top with marshmallows.
Notes: I didn’t have chocolate chips so I used Justin’s all natural hazelnut butter instead. Delish!
Pumpkin Walnut Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried fruit
- 1 tsp vanilla
- sprinkle of cinnamon and coconut flakes
- Toast quinoa in pan for a few seconds til lightly browned
- Add all ingredients into sauce pan, boil. Then reduce heat for 10-15 minutes
Notes: Makes for an amazing breakfast with some greens and eggs.
Healthy Hurricane Butter Balls
- 1 cup peanut or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
1.Heat peanut butter and honey in the microwave until easily mixed, about 15-20 seconds. Stir until blended.
2.In a separate bowl, mix oats, flaxseed and coconut (if using) until combined.
3.Add peanut butter mixture to oat mixture and stir until incorporated. (Mixture may seem a little dry at first…just keep mixing).
4.Form a rounded tablespoonful of the combined mixture into a ball and place on a plate. Repeat until all mixture is used. Now, if you do not want to coat the balls, skip to step 6.
5.Roll each ball in whatever coating suits your preference. Cocoa powder, wheat germ, and chopped peanuts are some ideas.
Chill the plate of balls in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour
Gluten Free Kale, Flax Pancakes
- 2 cups GF flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1 tbsp flax
- Blend in food processor
- Fry up on pan
- Top with coconut nectar and blueberries or fruit of choice