WARM QUINOA SALAD WITH SPINACH, POACHED EGGS, AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS
Serves 1 (for 2, poach 2 more eggs) from chef marcus samuelsson
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups veggies stock
- ½ white onion, slivered
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 2 eggs
- Roughly 3 cups of spinach
- Salt and pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and vegetable stock over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until all the moisture has absorbed into the grain. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onions and sautée until browned, about 15-20 minutes. After 10 minutes, add the honey. Remove from the heat, set aside.
3. Heat up a deep pan of water to poach the eggs. Bring the water to a boil, then add the eggs (with a dab of olive oil at the bottom of the poacher dishes if you’re using them) and cover. The eggs take about 5 minutes to cook all the way through.
4. When the quinoa is almost ready and the onions are almost browned, sautée the spinach. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the spinach and cook until limp, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Combine the onions, spinach, quiona and eggs. Season with sea salt and pepper,
PUMPKIN OATMEAL PANCAKES
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Mix all ingredients together. Pour onto a hot skillet. Treat like a normal pancake. Eat!
SPINACH AND STRAWBERRY SALAD
- 4c fresh, baby spinach
- 1/2c sliced almonds
- 1 Haas avocado, diced
- 1c strawberries, sliced
- 1 lemon
- 1/4c orange juice
- 1.5c olive oil
- 1/4c balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large glass bowl with a lid, toss the spinach with the almonds, avocados, and juice from 1/2 of your lemon.
- Top with the sliced strawberries and squeeze on the rest of the lemon juice.
- In a jar, whisk together the remaining ingredients to make the dressing.
RHUBARB FRUIT SALAD
- 3 cups thinly sliced fresh rhubarb
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 1 1/2 cups halved red or green grapes
- 1 1/2 cups small honeydew or cantaloupe melon balls or pieces
- 1 1/2 cups diced mango or strawberries
- Bring rhubarb, honey and Grand Marnier (or Cointreau) to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is just beginning to break down, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate for about 15 minutes to cool.
- Stir grapes, melon and mango (or strawberries) into the rhubarb mixture. Serve or return to the refrigerator to chill further.