Quiona Salad with Mango and Blueberries
For the quinoa
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
For the fruits and veggies
½ cup fresh blueberries
½ cup cubed ripe mangoes
½ cup cubed cucumbers
1/2 tablespoon dried cranberries
For the lemon basil dressing
1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
10 Basil leaves, chopped finely
Salt and pepper
Place the quinoa and water in a medium skillet and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, and simmer covered for about 15 minutes or till the quinoa is cooked. Remove the lid, and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Let it cool to room temperature.
While the quinoa is cooking, combine the fruits in a bowl and refrigerate till you are ready to serve the salad.
Whisk together all the dressing ingredients, except the chopped basil. Refrigerate till you are ready to serve. Chop and add the basil to the dressing just before serving. If you add it earlier, it will go black.
Add half the dressing to the quinoa and mix gently.
Assemble the salad just before serving – toss the quinoa, fruits and cucumbers together. Serve other half of the dressing on the side. Serve immediately.
Mango and Cashew Salad:
- 1/2 cup organic sweet white wine, such as a Riesling
- 1 large mango, cut into medium-size cubes (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 cup oven-roasted cashews
- Garnish: 8 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Pour wine into medium bowl. Add mango cubes and grated ginger. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours to let the flavors mingle.
- Drain off excess liquid; return to bowl. Add cashews and mix well. Garnish with fresh mint.
Chicken Salad with Peaches and Walnuts:
- 2 large fresh peaches
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken meat
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup poppyseed salad dressing
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- Chop 1 peach into 1/2 inch pieces; place in large bowl. Add chicken and onion; toss with enough dressing to coat.
- Add greens and walnuts to bowl and toss to coat. Mound salad on large plate. Cut remaining peach in thin wedges and place on top to garnish.