Stuck inside tonight? If you’re like most of us in the Northeast you’re bunkered in trying to hide from that blowing snow outside or maybe your back from venturing out with the family to make a few snow angles but either way you’ll need stay warm tonight. Here’s a easy, healthy recipe to keep you cozy.
This kitchen sink soup is great because you should have most of these ingredients in your house. To please the whole family serve with grilled cheese squares.
Kitchen Sink Soup:
Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 30 minutes, Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2 celery stalks, washed and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tbs oil
- 3 cups asstd vegetables, (whatever you have in the fridge. Parsnips, squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, any leafy green)
- 20 fl oz vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp five-spice powder (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper
- In a large stock pot or soup pan heat the vegetable oil, add the onion and gently cook until the onions begin to soften. Add the celery carrot and celery and cook for another 5 minutes taking care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the chopped vegetables and stir, add the stock and bay leaf (and spices if using) and cook until all the vegetables are soft and cooked through (approx 20 minutes).
- Blend the soup in the pan using a stick blender or pour into a food processor and blend.
- Cook the soup for a further 5 minutes to reduce slightly, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.