1 lb Brussels sprouts
3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
2 medium cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. Fill the bottom of the steamer with 2 inches of water.
2. While steam is building up in steamer, cut Brussels sprouts into quarters and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
3. Chop or press garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
4. Steam Brussels sprouts for 5 minutes.
5. Transfer to a bowl. Toss Brussels sprouts, while they are still hot, with the ingredients for the Mediterranean Dressing. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately.)
Brussels Sprouts Stir-Fry
1 pound Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
3-4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
1 15-ounce can baby corn, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp. mirin (sweetened rice wine)
1-2 tbsp. tamari
2 tbsp. seasoned rice wine vinegar (or regular rice wine vinegar plus 1/2 tsp. sugar)
Coat the pan with some coconut oil. Heat over medium-high heat, and add the garlic and green onions; stir and cook for one minute. Add the Brussels sprouts, turning them cut-side down. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Add the red bell pepper, mushrooms, and baby corn, and stir well. Add the water and mirin and cover tightly. Reduce the heat and cook until the Brussels sprouts are tender but not overdone, about 5 minutes. (Add a little more water if necessary.)
Remove the cover and add the tamari and rice wine vinegar. Cook and stir for about one minute. Sprinkle a little sesame seeds and serve.