If you’re like most of my clients the scariest part of Halloween is not ghosts and goblins but the ever-abundant Halloween candy. Here are a few of my tops tips to help you enjoy Halloween without it unofficially starting your holiday weight worry season.
1. Buy Candy you DON’T like. If the candy in your pantry is stuff kids like but that you don’t enjoy, it will be easier to resist opening those bags and diving in.
2. Change the way you think about Halloween candy. Try to avoid creating associations with your childhood memories around candy. Start to think of each bite as something that will raise your blood sugar, decrease your energy, hinder your immune system and give you mood swings.
3. Indulge a little. Decide what you are willing to eat ahead of time and allow for one sweet treat a day during this time. Be sure to savor and enjoy your sweet treat because denying yourself completely could lead to an all-out binge.
4. Manage your meals. Be sure to start the day with a healthy breakfast and get in lots of vegetables in your meals. Try to eat sweet fruits and vegetable during the day to help with those sweet cravings. Think sweet potatoes, turnips, beets, apples and pears.
5. Be Mindful. Save and count the empty wrappers you eat. Those “fun size” bards add up so keep the wrappers on your desk and it will remind you to exercise moderation
If you still are worried about Halloween unofficially starting your binge eating season then join my 5 week weight mgmt program “Hot for the Holidays”. Click here for more details.
BONUS: You know I’m not big on counting calories but sometimes it’s good to be in the know.
- Nestle’s Crunch – Fun Size 3 bars=210 calories
- Peanut M&M’s – Fun Pack 2 bags=80 calories
- M&M’s – Fun Pack 2 bags=180 calories
- Snicker’s – Fun Size 2 bars=160 calories
- Milky Way – Fun Size 2 bars=150 calories
- Kit Kat – Fun Size 2 bars=100 calories
- Hershey Chocolate Bar – Fun Size 1 bar=90 calories/ 5grams of fat
- Reese’s Cup – 1 cup=80 calories
- Butterfinger – Fun Size 1 bar= 100 calories
- Twix – Fun Size 1 bar= 80 calories
- York Peppermint Pattie – 1 pattie=70 calories
- Twizzlers – 1 treat size pkg= 45 calories
- Almond Joy – 1 snack size bar = 90 calories
- Milk Duds – 1 treat size box = 40 calories
- Butterfinger – 1 snack size bar = 100 calories
- Milky Way – 1 snack size bar = 90 calories
- SweetTarts – 1 treat size pkg. = 50 calories
- 1 Tootsie Pop – 1 pop = 60 calories
- 1 Tootsie Roll – 1 small roll = 13 calories
Trick or Treat!!.