Superbowl is this Sunday, and many of you will be throwing or attending parties. Normally this involves a four hour eatfest so here are some easy, healthy recipes you can nosh on without compromising your health goals. If you don’t like any of the recipes below remember you want to snack on healthy high fiber options, such as guacamole, hummus, whole wheat pita chips and spicy trail mix.
Ingredients: 1 pound parsnips
• Olive oil
• Sea salt to taste
• Black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash parsnips well.
3. Slice parsnips very thin, crosswise, creating circular pieces and place in a bowl.
4. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss so each piece is coated.
5. Spread evenly over two baking sheets and place in the oven.
6. Remove after 30 minutes or until desired crispness.
CROCK POT BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
• 5 lbs. chicken wings, with tips cut off
• 1 (12 oz.) bottle chili sauce
• 1/3 c. lemon juice
• 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tbsp. molasses
• 2 tsp. salt
• 2 tsp. chili powder
• 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
• Dash of garlic salt
Place wings in crock pot. Combine all remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours. Yields: 6 to 8 servings.
• olive oil cooking spray
• 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons cornmeal
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 3 medium), cut into 1/2-by-3-inch sticks
• 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine flours, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a large sealable plastic bag. Dip zucchini in egg white, shake in the bag to coat, and arrange, not touching, on the baking sheet. Coat all exposed sides with cooking spray.
3. Bake on the center rack for 7 minutes. Turn the zucchini and coat any floury spots with cooking spray. Continue to bake until golden and just tender, about 5 minutes more. Serve hot.
CRAB AND CUCS:
* 1 medium cucumber
* 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained or fresh
* 2 teaspoons low-fat plain organic yogurt
* 3 tablespoons green onions, chopped
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 1 dash paprika
Score cucumber lengthwise to make a decorative edge and then make 1/4 inch slices. combine in a small bowl the crab meat, yogurt, chives, salt, and pepper. Place a small spoonful of crab mixture, onto each cucumber slice. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Place slices on a serving plate, cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 4 hours.